This summer, I read the Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, partly because I had a copy on hand, had just seen the movie that spring, and because it was on the summer reading list. As I was reading it, I noticed that, in my opinion, the language in the book is nicer than the characters. Especially most of the women characters, who don't really have any character development. For example, I'll invite Daisy Buchannan to the spotlight. Daisy is seen as being attractive, as well as lovable. She also has a certain habit of murmuring instead of speaking clearly, causing the people around her to lean in. Nick Carraway, the narrator, points out that Daisy loves the attention that people give her.
Next, shall we invite the lovely Miss Baker to the stage? She is one of Nick's close friends, and goes with him to Gatsby's party. She seems clever enough, until we find out that she's a 'pathological liar'. Oh, and she cheats at golf. What a wonderful résumé.
Now lets add Myrtle Wilson, Tom Buchannan's very own mistress into the mix. She is described as being unattractive, as well as unladylike. Alright, that's fine. But then when Nick meets Mrs Wilson, he founds out that not only is she already married, she's cheating on her husband Mr Wilson by being Tom's mistress. And then she's also cheating in her own way on Daisy because she knows that Daisy is married already to Tom.
In this book, not only are most of the women characters shallow and not entirely likeable, but the men are, too. Let's take a look at this Tom. Mr Buchannan, please take the spotlight. When Nick goes to dinner at the Buchannans' estate, the talk during dinner is all about some rather racist book that Tom had just read. Tom is generally described as being conceited. Then Tom is very eager to introduce Nick to his mistress Myrtle, so he can boast about how much of a man he is and to make Nick jealous.
And now what about this Nick character anyway? Mr Carraway, the floor is yours. In the very introduction to the book, Nick states that he thinks of himself as having high standards because of his father. Later in the book, Nick says in a conversation that he doesn't like careless people. At the same time, Nick is friends with Gatsby, who careless at times, but has enough money that he can literally 'afford' to be careless.
So, after reading the Great Gatsby, I learned that there can still be a great book, with excellent writing and technique, and a fine story, despite having many not so nice characters.
I really like the way that you wrote your blog post. I really like the way that you described each character in the book. I also like the way that you sort of talk to the reader.
ReplyDeleteI didn't really enjoy this book so I stopped, but your writing makes me want to re try reading this book again.
ReplyDelete(I am ADDING TO MY COMMENT)
DeleteI think you described the book very nicely. You also used nice vocabulary to describe the book.
I thought your vocabulary made the response interesting and also how you started the paragraphs and introduced the characters.
ReplyDeletei really liked how you created an image for the reader by using words like, "please take the spotlight", and "will ___ take the stage?" It really makes the reader want to read more.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the language and word choice you used throughout the response;it really helped me further understand the characters. I also thought that the topic was interesting.
ReplyDeleteVery amazing character details Lydia! You put such great amount of detail about the characters that you made them feel as to almost alive! I have been considering reading this book for a while, and now I will!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Lydia, the characters are all portrayed as bothersome, and someone I wouldn't really want to hang out with. I think that Mr. Carraway's personality is contradictory, for the same reason she listed, he says he doesn't like careless people, yet he is friends with Gatsby. Do you think that this was purposeful? Did the author write this for a reason?
ReplyDeleteGreat Response, I completely agree with your opinion.I think it was smart for the author to do this though. I think he did it to show nobody is a perfect person, and that a lot if people have bad personalities you know?
ReplyDeleteThis review was very interesting as well as helpful. From what I've read, this sounds like a great book. The characters sound interesting, and I would like to read about them, even if they aren't that nice. I'm interested in reading this book, thanks for the helpful review!
ReplyDeletethis is a great response, the language is grade level and the writing style is casual but articulate. the charaxcter desccriptions were, in my opinion, spot on. your main idea was great, it was relevant and made sense. all of your examples were good, and suceeded in proving your point. good job!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with what your saying. your descriptions for the characters fit the characters perfectly and it was an overall great response. i also loved how you made it seem almost like a talk show review on The Great Gatsby book.
ReplyDeleteI really love how you put some of your voice into the essay. The essay left me wanting to read more and wanting to ask you what else you think. I felt the same way about the book and i agree that though sometimes the character is very unpleasant it doesn't distract from how good a book it is. Great job!
ReplyDeleteI agree that this book is so well-written yet is filled with characters who are not so pleasant. The characters are often so superficial and hold on to illusions as dreams. I mean, Gatsby keeps chasing a married woman who has a child we rarely see in the book; he accumulates wealth and material objects but clings to something he can't have, Daisy. In many ways, this book is so poignant because of how messed up the characters are and how tragic the ending is.
ReplyDeleteThis was a very great piece. This was an interesting topic and this is also a wonderful book. I want to read it. you great amounts of detail and you had lots of examples.In my mind you make the characters real.
ReplyDeletei LOVE the way you presented your reading response, it's so creative!! i haven't read the entire book yet, but from what i have read i can totally relate to what you think about the characters and how the story is narrated. also, you used excellent vocabulary and overall your RR was very well put together.
ReplyDeleteI've never read the book Great Gatsby, but after the way you wrote about the characters and what they do in the book, it make's me want to read it.The details that you used really went with the whole story.The
ReplyDeletegreat job Lydia! i love the way you introduced each character in such a lively way. Your post is nice, long and unique. I also like the way you were very formal and the way you used 8th grade language/word choice. I have not read this book yet but i have been meaning to.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great book. You explained it with such a great level of detail. I really liked your whole concept of how you explained this book. When reading this book it wasn't the most interesting, but after reading your response it seems like not that bad of a book. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteI read this book, and i agree that is very well written and with having many not so many characters, it made the book more interesting. the characters in the book are portrayed. i really liked Gatsby as a character because he was kind of like a shady character in the beginning.
ReplyDeletei really like how for every character you said okay lets bring this character out know. i kept on wanting to read on. I read this over the the summer also and i agree that even though the characters are unpleasant that you still like the book. i like your voice. You did an excellent job. great!!!
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you wrote each transition into each paragraph! As terrible as each character sounds, the way you described them was hilarious! I'll be sure to read this book.
ReplyDeleteI like the way that describe each character very vividly in turn. Having read Of Mice and Men also by F Scott Fitzgerald I am looking forward to reading The Great Gatsby.
ReplyDeleteI love how you ranted about each character!! Your blog was so fun to read, and i liked how you spoke directly to the reader.
ReplyDeleteI really like your post and your technique of writing. but i'm just wondering, would you recommend this book to anyone else?
ReplyDeleteI loved your transitions and the way you described the characters as not so nice. I also liked how you described the characters and gave them each a paragraph.
ReplyDeleteThis summer I read The Great Gatsby too. I didn't like the book very much- the characters were too unlikeable to keep me really interested- but I see why you like it. I loved how you "invited the characters to the stage." Have you read The Grapes of Wrath?
ReplyDelete